POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Decaying classic : Re: Decaying classic Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Decaying classic
From: gonzo
Date: 16 Oct 2003 17:02:08
Message: <3f8f0750@news.povray.org>
Tek <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message
> Well it's meant to look more like a chrome coating over some other metal.
It's
> adapted from the animation I posted to p.b.a which showed a painted ball
> rusting, so the rust looks like it starts under the surface of the metal
and
> then breaks through, which isn't how it should rust. I hadn't really
thought
> much about that, I just changed the paint material to be chrome! :)

It is quite possible to have clean shiny chrome and rust too. You have it
right, that is what a bad plating job looks like.  If the metal was corroded
before the plating was applied, and the corrosion was not completely cleaned
or removed first, then the plating will not bond correctly, and the rust
will start from under the surface.

For the IRTC, just extend the decay; corrode the plane too, eat away one
corner of the image itself and submit it as a decay(ed) entry... ;-)

RG